Monday, September 21, 2009

Kyle Writes:
(letter to his sister Leigh)
"haha thats hilarious about Asher, he tells you his feelings, thats so funny. I couldn't open those photos you sent, I don't know why, it might just be the internet place I am at today. But all is going good so far here in Santiago, or 'tzkhn jaay' as the locals call it. It literally means 'bird house'. The people here are obsessed with birds. They love them and put them on everything. The word for hair is 'head feathers' and they call your 'man parts' a bird. Its funny, but ya, tzutuhil (suetuill, the 'l' at the end is a really breathy 'l') has some of the longest words ever and I am finally getting used to it. I love this Mayan dialect and am excited for the baptism I have coming up. Thanks for writing me. I only got a letter from you today. ps. my dreams are now in three languages, last night I woke myself up speaking 'tzuthil'. haha. "tubanaquent awii" (take care of yourself) They speak like an Indian you know when we go into the mountain. haha. Love... Elder Fisher"

Letter to Us:
"That sounds awesome Leigh is selling everything. She told me Asher is telling her his feelings now, and she doesn't like it. All is going good here. Thanks for the package, I will probably get it next change. I am still just putin along, not much has changed. If I stay in Santiago this change, I will be here probably 'til the beginning of next year or later. I probably will complete a year here. They say I have learned the best 'tzutuhil' for not having any other language background such as 'cheq chi' or any other Mayan dialect. All the other elders who have come top this area spoke one of the other dialects first. Thanks for the support and love 'khnwajo congan tubanaqawent awii' ... Elder Fisher"

No comments: