Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More from Kyle's letter today:

"I didn't go on divisions last wednesday because 14 bus drivers were killed on tuesday, but the busses never stopped, and now I think that the gang has given up, I  don't know.  We did get to go to las collinas, a youth camp ground and we hiked and played football, and got to eat dominos pizza which was amazing. Today we are the only people here and we get McDonalds for breakfast and our choice of dinner.....I bought 6 ties through the fence this week for 2.50 a tie, really cheap.  All the little kids here are afraid of me and won't shake my hand (haha)....I think I broke my foot playing futbol or soccer. I was really sick today, but am better now...."

Just got his letter in the mail, dated 3/24/09, here's what he said:

"Yesterday a bus full of the latino elders was held at gunpoint. Apparently one of the local gangs wants the bus company to pay to operate in their 'territory', so until they do, the gang is killing a bus driver every now and then. So one driver was killed yesterday.  Anything worth money here is guarded by a man with a knife, or better, with a sawed off shotgun,  even the beer trucks.  He sits in the back in one of those side doors on top of the beer.  The tanker truck I saw today had military police with AK's."  "....I really wish I had baby wipes, other than that, I am fine..."

1 comment:

Jill Dees said...

Wow, just what every parent wants to hear in their letter. All of the bus drivers were killed by gangs! How scarey. Good to know the Lord is there with these boys!