Monday, May 4, 2009

Guatemala Update...

"I am in La Raformita...it is a suburb in Guatemala City, zone 12.  'Pilas' means sinks or batteries, but they use it here to mean a person who is just awesome, or an awesome investigator.  Right now we have 6 investigators, but a lot of the people here have problems with getting married.  They will have kids and live with their girlfriend for like 20 years, but they still don't want to get married. haha. Some even have grandchildren and still won't get married.  
I can pretty much understand almost all of what people say, but speaking, I can talk pretty good, but talking about the gospel is hard. But I'll learn.  I am buying a cable for my camera tomorrow so hopefully I'll send pics soon, or print some off and mail them.  
I found out the other day, that I officially have the worst toilet in the mission.  It doesn't flush, it just makes things dizzy!
Oh ya, I wanted to ask about the 'pig fever' or whatever its called (swine flu).  They are handing out notices about it. I hear people are wearing masks for it.  I don't know much about it, hows it affecting Az? With the immigrants? I finally got some mail this week, some 'dear Elder' letters from mom. I can't believe she's writing me!
I am  convinced that the bus drivers here could beat anyone in a race. Thats all they do, hop up their bus, and drive fast.  I swear I saw one on 2 wheels. They are insane....
Love, Elder  Fisher"

Well our planned trip to Havasupai was cancelled. The indian tribe closed it down due to the swine flu scare.  Unbelievable to me.  The swine flu is no more potent than the regular flu, and yet the whole world is acting like its the black plague.  I think it is the media stirring things up to get better ratings/interest.  Anyway, so instead of packing into Havasupai, I took Kellan and Seth to the black river camping and fishing.  It was great! We found a place right along the river, with no one around, we had the place all to ourselves.  The fishing was great and the weather couldn't have been any better. Below are some pics.

Seth fishing right next to our campsite.
We fried up about 10 fish for dinner Friday night, This is a small size one Seth caught.  The were all small mouth bass.
Kellan crossing the river trying not to get wet.  It didn't work for her.  She fell in...a lot!
This was our brave guard dog Tsadi! She climbed into Seths bedroll one night, and almost kicked him out!  She was pretty funny.  There was a cliff right across the river from where we camped.  Whenever she heard a noise that alarmed her she would bark, then the bark would echo back, she was convinced there was a big mean dog across the river, so so would just growl and bark more.
Kellan fishing one of the calm stretches of the river.





1 comment:

Jill Dees said...

Memories made with your family are the best. Before you blink they are all grown up and gone.